The perched village of Callian.
Perched on rocky foothills overlooking the plain, Callian alleyways spiral up to the castle, whose towers date from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries and was restored in 60 years. On the church square, the cascade is fed by the waters of the river Siagnole. The neighboring plaza offers a panoramic view of the Estérel mountains and the village of Tanneron, as well as the nearby village Montauroux. You will also have access to an exceptional view of the plain, the Esterel and the village of Fayence from the highest point of the village at the foot of the castle.
Callian, an authentic village has always attracted individuals of Arts and Letters: Juliette Adam, Anthony Burgess, Fernand Léger, Christian Dior, Sister Emmanuelle Edouard Goerg and whose castle is also Callian.
The village, which has inherited from its rich past heritage, has many churches and chapels. The oldest, the chapel Notre-Dame des Roses is located in the village. Moults are found on Roman remains, including a Cippe (funerary or votive stele) now on display in the lobby of City Hall. At the foot of the castle, the Romanesque chapel of the Penitents (XII century) welcomes today exhibitions and concerts throughout the summer. The Chapel of St. Donat (XII century, awaiting renovation) is located below the village in the valley of Maya. Finally, the church Notre-Dame-de-l’Assomption (1685), the square tower in glazed tiles, houses the relics of St Maxime and the altars, tables, ex-voto and a monumental high altar.
On its extensive wooded areas which once stretched up the coast, has long cultivated Callian roses and jasmine which are sent to the perfume capital Grasse. Now these fields also contain many olive trees.
Chapelle Notre Dame de la Rose
Archaeological site of Gallo-Roman building near an ancient necropolis. Priory of the Abbey of Lerins, claustrale house, quoted in 1038 in the cartulary of Lerins.
The bell tower (X and XI) bearing arches Lombardic remains. It is the oldest religious monument in Callian. It was a high place of worship until the fourteenth century (Black Death of 1348 and the destruction of the old Callian).
In 1630: reconstruction in the old building. With the transfer of the cemetery in 1752, it left Notre Dame in dark decay.
In 1982, this building was included in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments. Restoration work has been undertaken, including the bell tower which has been consolidated.
The medieval castle
Its imposing silhouette stands out against the sky, the round towers of the XIIth and XIIIth centuries flanking the north side and south west is contrasted with the long south facade, pierced by windows braces (Renaissance since its renovation).
Authorized on a quadrilateral-shaped around the main courtyard where you enter on foot, the castle housed several families of Grasse, Villeneuve-de Raphéle Broves, of Lyle Taulanne.
The Castle is not open, it is private.
Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption
Built from 1675 and inaugurated in 1685, it contains altars on the sides (carved gilded (1762)), busts, tables, ex-voto, a statue of St. Donat (wood painted gold end XVIth C.) and the relics of the patron saint of the village “Ste Maxime” gilded carved wood, painted panels (1643).
Its apse is decorated with a monumental high altar. Old stained glass, faithfully restored in the workshops Fernand Léger in Biot, the light. The bell tower is typical with its glazed roof tiles in bright colors.
Penitents chapel (XIIth century)
A chapel at the beginning, it became a parish church with the development of the village around the castle guard. Too small, she lost that role in 1685 after the inauguration of the present church. She remained the oratory Penitents Blancs to the disappearance of the Brotherhood to the Revolution.
Today it is hosts exhibitions, events and various classical concerts.
Chapelle St Donat
At the bottom of the village in the valley nestled Maïa stands as forgotten, the Church of St. Donat.
Starting from the second millennium, the historical references become clearer but there is nothing to formally identify the St. Donat which gave its name to the chapel. This Saint was long revered in Callian to be “sovereign cure of epilepsy” and his tomb attracted a large crowd until the last century.
In the seventeenth century, the city council met frequently to discuss the restoration of the sanctuary because of the presence of a hermit.
In more recent history Callian, on the occasion of the feast St Donat (1st weekend of August), processions lead the communicants at the chapel: they had a privileged witness of the life of the village until the collapse of its roof in 1944.
It is named after Edouard Goerg, a French expressionist painter and engraver (1893 – 1969). Edouard Callian Goergs was established during the immediate post-war and did not want to leave. The large house he lived in is remarkable for its turrets. Built in a park in restanques, this building is adjacent to the center of the village. It is now owned by the town of Callian. The artist and his wife are burried elsewhere in the park property.